Saturday, February 2, 2013

Another Shopping Trip

Sooooo, I went food shopping a week or so ago and wanted to share it with you guys!!!!  This shopping trip wasn't just fruits and veggies...I got protein also!!!  Quite a bit of it actually, lol


This is my fruits and veggies load.  Lot's o yummy items, lol

This is my protein for a couple weeks.  

I try to buy my protein as I need it.  I don't like wasting food, lol.  Included above are chicken cutlets (which I used to make the parm crusted cutlets in my previous post), a catfish fillet, fresh shrimp, chicken thighs & legs, eggs and my most exciting discovery...a Swai fillet.  I learned about Swai from a few fitness folks I follow on Instagram so when I saw it at the seafood counter it piqued my curiosity.  It was VERY affordable, less than $4.00 for a HEALTHY sized fillet.  I found it to be very similar to catfish.  I prepared it the same way I would a blackened catfish fillet and it was absolutely delicious.  It was milder in flavor but still flavorful and flaky.  I will definitely be making this a staple.

Vegetation, lol

These are the veggies I purchased.  I usually pick my veggies based on sales and what works well with each other.  Peaking out of the corner are some cremini mushrooms.  Mushrooms are definitely one of my staples.  Sauteed, fried or roasted in the oven with fresh lemon juice, mushrooms are one of my favorite sides.  Next to the 'shrooms is coleslaw mix.  I know it seems weird, but I buy for its versatility and ingredients.  Coleslaw mix is a mixture of cabbages and carrots.  This is great to bulk up salads with the cabbage providing a sweetness to your lettuce.  I love it in my homemade ramen since Chinese dishes utilize cabbage. Also, it's cheap.  That whole container was under a buck.  I got my usual container of fresh spinach, some grape tomatoes, a seedless cucumber, some red potatoes, brussels sprouts and another favorite of mine, okra.  Okra is really one of those vegetables you either hate it or love it.  What turns most people off from is is that it can have a slimey texture.  There are ways to cook them to prevent this from happening.  You can fry them with cornmeal to prevent the sliminess but there is another way to prepare them also.  I take okra, trim off the tops and saute them in a skillet with a shake of oil until they turn bright green.  I add a fourth of a cup of water and about a cup and a half of white vinegar. I know that sounds like a lot, but it mellows out tremendously as you season it and let it cook.  Generously add salt and pepper because as the okra cooks the liquid is what is going to season your okra.  Place a lid on the skillet and cook the okra on a low heat until they soften.  Now, I should warn you.  If you let the okra cook too long at this stage, they will get slimey.  Slow cooking activates the slime, lol.  After they soften, remove the lid cut the heat up to medium high and allow the liquid to cook all the way out checking your seasoning throughout and my friend you will have DELICIOUS okra!  Without the slime, lol

Some rainbow swiss chard, baby carrots, asian pears and a mango

This trip set me back about $55.00.  Not bad considering I'm still eating this same food a couple weeks later.  Hope this helps and shows that you can mix things up and have a little variety.  My intent is that you can take these shopping trips, get ideas about how they can help you and personalize it to your diet, tastes, etc.  Happy eating Lovies!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment